Topeka – Kansas Governor Sam Brownback today announced numerous appointments to boards and commissions.
“Kansas is lucky to have such qualified individuals willing to share their time and talents,” Governor Brownback said. “I am thankful to these Kansans for helping me to make our state great.”
The governor’s office is always looking for qualified, interested Kansans to serve the state on commissions and boards in their areas of expertise. If you are interested in serving on a commission or board, please visit http://governor.ks.gov/serving-kansans/office-of-appointments.
Kansas Sports Hall of Fame Board of Trustees
Seven members make up the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame Board of Trustees who are appointed by the governor. The board oversees the Hall of Fame museum located in Wichita which is dedicated to preserving the history of sports in the state of Kansas.
- Michael McCoy, M.D., Topeka, is being appointed to a four-year term. He received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Kansas and went on to the University of Kansas Medical School, specializing in Sports Medicine and orthopaedic surgery.
Kansas Pet Animal Advisory Board
The Kansas Pet Animal Advisory Board is a ten member board appointed by the governor. The board advises the Kansas livestock commissioner on hiring a director to implement the Kansas pet animal act, reviews the status of the Kansas pet animal act and makes recommendations on changes to the act.
- William Smith, Shawnee, is being appointed to a three year term. He received his bachelor’s degree from Pittsburg State University. William is currently the owner of Pet Stop, Inc. in Shawnee, Kansas.
Kansas Home Inspectors Registration Board
The Kansas Home Inspectors Registration Board administers and enforces the provisions of Home Inspection Certification and Financial Responsibility Act, promotes consumer protection, ensures professional competency and ensures the presence of a viable home inspection industry in this state. The board consists of five members appointed by the governor.
- Lyn Toburen, Manhattan, is being appointed to a three year term. Lyn received a bachelor’s degree from Kansas State University. Lyn now owns and operates Toburen Home Inspection Service in Manhattan, Kansas.
Kansas Geographical Information Systems Policy Board
The Kansas Geographical Information Systems policy board works to ensure a technological environment where GIS is recognized as an integral and indispensable tool for government and businesses to serve the information needs of citizens and customers.
- Gary Middleton, Berryton, is being re-appointed to a four year term. He earned his bachelor’s degree from Washburn University. Gary currently owns Middleton Associated International, an education and consulting firm in Emergency Management.
Kansas Broadband Advisory Task Force
The Kansas Broadband Advisory Task Force is an advisory group that will help implement the state’s Connect Kansas broadband Internet initiative.
- Dan Yunk, Manhattan, is being reappointed to a four year term. He received his bachelor’s, master’s and Ph.D. from Kansas State University. Dan is currently the Executive Director and CEO for Kansas Farm Bureau.
Kansas Propane Education and Research Council
KanPERC is designed to enhance propane safety, education, and training for propane consumers and employees; to improve existing propane technology; to increase the efficiency of propane; and to develop other programs to educate the public about the safety, environmental aspects, and uses of propane.
- James Ainsworth, Olathe, is being appointed to a three year term. He received his bachelor’s degree from Texas A&M University. James is currently the Vice President of Transportation for Farrell North America.
Kansas Water Authority
The Kansas Water Authority consists of appointments made by the Governor and Legislative leadership as well as agency directors who serve because of their positions and is within and a part of the Kansas Water Office. It is responsible for advising the Governor, the Legislature, and the Director of the Kansas Water Office on water policy issues and for approving the Kansas Water Plan and revisions thereto, federal contracts, administration regulations, and legislation proposed by the Kansas Water Office.
- David Corliss, Lawrence, is being reappointed to a four year term. He received his bachelor’s, master’s and Juris Doctorate degrees from the University of Kansas. David is currently the City Manager of Lawrence, Kansas.
The Kansas Creative Arts Industries Commission
The Kansas Creative Arts Industries Commission is focused on the creative industries sector of the Kansas economy. The advisory board is dedicated to measuring, promoting, supporting and expanding the creative industries to grow the state’s economy and create creative industry-related jobs.
- Billy Coulter, Paola, is being appointed to a three year term. He is currently a freelance photographer.
Kansas Board of Barbering
The mission of the Kansas Board of Barbering is to eliminate all acts performed by barbers which may harm or cause injury to the public; to ensure that only qualified and well-trained barbers and barber instructors are licensed; to ensure that all shops, salons, and barber colleges are properly licensed for operation; and to provide information to barbers concerning all technical, medical, and scientific data which may enhance the protection of the public.
- Victoria Rajewski, Topeka, is being appointed to a three year term. She received a bachelor’s degree from Washburn University and attended the Capitol City Barber College. Victoria is currently the barber supervisor at the United States Disciplinary Barracks at Fort Leavenworth.
Information Network of Kansas
The Kansas Information Network sends newscasts, weather and sports to affiliates throughout Kansas.
- Gary Landeck, Atchison, is being appointed to a three year term. He received a bachelor’s degree from Metropolitan State College of Denver and his master’s degree from Emporia State University. Gary is currently the Director of the Atchison Public Library.
911 Coordinating Council
The 911 Coordinating Council will monitor the delivery of 911 services in our state, develop strategies for future enhancements to the 911 system and distribute grant funds to public safety answering points.
- Christopher Stratmann, Topeka, is being appointed to a three year term. He received his bachelor’s degree from Washburn University and his master’s degree from Central Missouri State University. Christopher is currently a Colonel and is the Chief Information Officer for the Joint Force Headquarters, Kansas National Guard.
Kansas Advisory Committee on Trauma
The Kansas Advisory Committee on Trauma advises the Secretary of Health and Environment on the development and implementation of a statewide trauma system. The ACT is composed of 24 members including representation from physician organizations, the Hospital Association, the State Nurse Association, and EMS organizations. Members of the committee have significant expertise and commitment to EMS and Trauma Care, and represent both urban and rural interests.
- Nancy Zimmerman, Protection, is being appointed to a four year term. She received her nursing license from Wesley School of Nursing in Wichita, Kansas. Nancy is currently an administrator at the Comanche County Hospital in Coldwater, Kansas.
Northeast Kansas Library System
Through the use of joint planning and financing of library services, the Northeast Kansas Library System improves existing library services in that region of the state and utilizes what federal funding becomes available
- Mike Todd, Baldwin City, is being appointed to a four year term. He received his bachelor’s degree from Baker University. Mike currently serves as the Director of Retailer Operations for the Kansas Lottery.
Kansas Commission on Disability Concerns
The Disability Commission provides policy recommendations to the State of Kansas on changes to laws, regulations and programs that affect people with disabilities. The Commission provides information to the public (communities and people) with disabilities on employment, school, home, play/community, youth issues, and disability history. KCDC is also an informational and referral resource for people who are not sure where to go for their problem or issue.
- Ed Mills, Goodland, is being reappointed to a three year term. He received his bachelor’s degree from University of Missouri- Kansas City, his master’s degree from Central Missouri State University and his Doctorate of Education from the University of Missouri-Columbia. Ed currently serves as the President for the Northwest Kansas Technical College.
Kansas Governmental Ethics Commission
The Kansas Governmental Ethics Commission (GEC) is charged with administering, interpreting and enforcing the Campaign Finance Act and laws relating to conflict of interests, financial disclosure and the regulation of lobbying.
- Daniel Harden, Meriden, is being reappointed to a two year term. He received his bachelor’s from the University of Minnesota and his masters’ degrees from Winona State University. Daniel received his Ph.D. from Kansas State University. Daniel is currently Professor Emeritus at Washburn University.
Kansas Physician Assistant Council
The Kansas Physician Assistant Council advises the Kansas Board of Healing Arts in carrying out the provisions of the Physician assistant licensure act
- Sheri Floyd, Ozawkie, is being reappointed to a three year term. She received her bachelor’s degree from Wichita State University. Sheri is currently a self-employed physician’s assistant working in ER, family practice clinics, and urgent care.